Every driver out on the road is an excellent driver, at least in their own mind. That fellow swerving in and out of traffic in order to save 10 seconds on his morning commute? The lady driving with her knees while applying her daily war paint? Of course, they have it under control – they’re such maestros of the motorway that nothing could possibly go wrong. At least, that is, until it does go wrong with less than pleasant results for everyone around. How can you be sure that you are not one of these behaviour-blind bad drivers? Here are a few signs that you might be a bad driver.
- If you are driving without insurance, you might be a bad driver. Insurance not only provides you with protection from the financial slings and arrows of accidents but also protects others as well. If you find that companies won’t insure you, or at least won’t do so inexpensively, due to your past driving record, then that is a major sign. Not having car insurance is a sign of an irresponsible driver, and nobody wants to be “that guy.”
- While driving can be a stressful experience, releasing a torrent of verbal filth, throwing obscene gestures at other drivers or otherwise driving like the Hulk on an anger bender just because someone cuts you off in traffic or is driving too slow for your likes is a sign that you could be a bad driver.
- Taking your eyes off of the road, even for a second, can be dangerous and can cause accidents. So the next time you drop your phone, just let it sit on the floor board. Speaking of dropping your phone…
- Why are you using your phone while driving? Everyone knows that’s a big no-no, yet people still do it – even though any other driver on the road can report you leading to a fine.
- Impatience while driving is a huge sign that you might not be the best, and most safe, driver in existence. If you find yourself doing such things as tailgating other drivers, undertaking others on the road, rushing a light while it is amber to try to slip in before it turns red or just flat out running red lights, you are an impatient driver and likely not the safest person to be around on the road. These activities are all signs that you need to slow down a bit, or else you may find that your auto will have an unpleasant meeting with portions of another auto. At the very least, you may have a very unpleasant conversation with a nice lady or gentlemen in a law enforcement uniform.
- If you hear screams of terror coming from beside you and glance over to see that your travelling companion’s hair has turned white, their face twisted into a facade of sheer horror with their knuckles shining white from the grip they have on various parts of the car, you might want to reconsider your current driving habits. Chances are you’re scaring your poor companion to death with your crazy driving.
- We all have our favourite songs, but blasting loud music while driving is a sign that you might be heading towards an unpleasant accident. Loud music can be distracting, taking up part of your ever so vital attention so necessary to safe driving.
- Have you lost your license? That’s a sure sign that you aren’t doing so hot in the “safe driver” category.
- Everyone knows that driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs is bad. Don’t do this – it’s not just naughty; it’s dangerous.
- Communication, as in so many other cases, is key while driving. Remember that most of the passengers on the road can’t read your mind, so make sure to signal.
If you exhibit any of these habits, you might be pegged by others as a “bad driver.” The good news is if you’re reading this article now, it’s not too late to stop some of those bad habits. By instead adopting good driving habits, people will say “what a pleasant driver” when you are on the road. Isn’t that what we all want to be known as – a pleasant and happy person adored by all?
Photo by: Gordon Tarpley